Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In 20 years....


My favourite son is taking this two week class at school called "The 2020 Program." It basically tells you where you'll be when you're 30.

The idea is to plan your entire life before you're 9. It's pretty cool.

So let's pretend Oscar is now 30. Here is what he's come up with in this class:

He is a long haul truck driver. He is unmarried, no children, and lives in a meager house on I9 (wherever that is). He drives a motorcycle that has winter tires. He also hopes that he can play in the NHL on the side. (but that wasn't an option when they were picking their careers so he just verbalized that to me at suppertime)

Now this is not exactly what I had planned for my future humanitarian. My plans go something like this:

My 30 year old Oscar is an accountant (pays well and is physically safe). He lives across the street from his parents in a lovely house with a kind-hearted wife (who he doesn't love more than his mother).He has three perfectly adorable children that LOVE their grandma. He volunteers at a soup kitchen on the weekends and coaches kids sports every night of the week. He drives a safe and reliable hybrid minivan and visits his mother every other day to help her with her garden.

As you can see, our plans are rather different. So I tried to think back to when I was around his age. What were my dreams? Where did I think I would be? So I looked in an old school journal.

It went something like this:

I hope to be a country western singer on the Tommy Hunter show. I think I'll have a pretty good chance because I do a lot of singing. I also hope to have some daughters. And I'll probably still be raising cats. I think I'm going to copy the style of Loretta Lynn or Crystal Gayle. If the singing doesn't work out, I'll stick to being an actress.

So its not exactly how things turned out for me. But I'd say I'm doing alright. I will strongly attempt to support Oscar in his current goals. ( But I will most certainly drop hints that accountants get all the chicks.)








1 comment:

Kristin said...

Were you singing "Its a Small World After All" in that last cute pic?? If so, I remember that concert :) So cute.